Thursday, February 15, 2007

Nixon vs. Bush

I just watched a History Channel show about Richard Nixon. It brought back a lot of memories that I'd completely forgotten. I guess time will do that to you. The first time I could vote in a presidential election was in 1972, and having been raised in a Republican household, I voted for Nixon. I remember wondering what all the fuss was about something called "Watergate". I remember learning that the President really was a crook. And I remember watching Nixon's resignation speech on TV as if it was yesterday.

I see a lot of bumper stickers these days that say things like "Bush: Worst President Ever". Umm, no. Nixon was. George is pretty bad, but he's not in Nixon's league. Nixon was both brilliant and sick, driven and insecure, incredibly accomplished and an incredible failure. Bush is just a sloppy failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment