Thursday, June 17, 2010

Slapping Paint

I've been painting in the studio for the past couple of days. It feels so good to finally be back doing what I was meant to do. I've been reworking a couple of old paintings, mostly just to get the feel of working with paint again, and since these were pretty bad paintings to begin with, there's nowhere to go but up. Here they are:

Response 1 (BEFORE)

Response 1 (AFTER)
This new version is not really in black-and-white, it's more like muted dark purple and cream.

Response 2 (BEFORE)

Response 2 (AFTER)
This one, I think, is a big improvement already.

Those of you who are familiar with my regular work are probably wondering where in the hell these come from. They were done right after 9/11 while I was in the painting program at UNCA. Abstraction is not what I do - my work almost always needs to be representational - but I'm having fun experimenting and loosening up right now. Don't have a clue what kind of paintings I'll work on next.

In the meantime, I've got my etching and printmaking equipment out and will start working on new prints in the next few days. Prints are a very technical drawing medium and it'll be fun to work on those for a while.

Actually, it's fun to be doing anything in the studio!

No comments:

Post a Comment