Saturday, July 31, 2010

Annapolis Trip


I'm in Annapolis right now, working on a 13' x 14' mural for an old friend of mine. Tim asked me if I'd do a Star Wars-themed mural in his son's bedroom. It sounded like a fun project - very different from what I normally paint and technically challenging, so I agreed. I put together a rough proposal, he bought off on it, and I got to work.

After doing all the preparations in my studio, I drove up to Baltimore on Monday. It was a beautiful drive: clear skies and light traffic, so I rolled along pretty quickly. I got to visit with my cousin Monday night and then meet up with some old friends from Asheville on Tuesday. We were all art students at UNCA. They went on to graduate school at Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) in Baltimore, then stayed on as teachers. It was really good to see them again. That afternoon, I drove down to Annapolis and on Wednesday morning went right to work. As you can see in the picture, I'm about halfway through it. I have the drawings done and several key elements painted: Chewbacca, Yoda, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and the Star Wars logo. Today I need to do R2D2, C3PO, the spaceships, and the light-saber fight. Tomorrow I'll finish up the Millennium Falcon and start work on the background.

So now I've got to get to work. There's lots to do and not much time to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment