Tuesday, April 23, 2013

New Studio

My new studio is finally ready for business!  Today I finished putting all my stuff more or less where it needs to go, cut up a bunch of boxes, threw out old packing materials, swept it down, and arranged things pretty much like they needed to be arranged.  I can walk in there tomorrow, squeeze out some paint, and start working.  


The main room has about 600 square feet.  I've got a desk, workbench, and storage rack for large paintings at one end of the room, and my easels and painting area at the other.  There are built-in shelves high on two walls, where I'm storing my smaller artworks and some random supplies.


There are no windows in here, unfortunately, but I've installed special daylight fluorescent bulbs that provide plenty of light.  Not shown in these photos is a small storage room off to the right in the above photo, which leads to a bathroom as well.  One thing I really appreciate is that this place also has an effective air conditioner and heater.

It has been a long road to get here.  When I signed the lease, the walls and ceiling had been spray-painted a hideous mustard yellow.  It also had computer network cables running all over the place.  Janis and I spent a lot more time refurbishing the place than I anticipated (surprise), but it has finally come together.  As a reminder, here's what it looked like when we first started:


Quite a difference, huh?

And to top it off, today a lawyer bought several of my courtroom drawings from the Bobby Medford trial five years ago.  He worked on the case and was great friends with the judge and prosecuting attorneys.  So this was an auspicious start to my new studio.

Can't wait to start slinging some paint!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! Can't wait to see what comes out of it :D

    ReplyDelete