Saturday, April 13, 2013

Studio Developments

For the first time in two years, almost to the day, I have all my art stuff in a studio rather than a storage unit.  Woo hooo!  It's been a long road.  One of my early posts said that it would take about a week to get everything done.  Wrong.  It's been a month.

You may recall that the space was painted a fugly bright mustard yellow (even the ceiling) with a cold gray floor.  And it had computer cables running everywhere.  Janis and I set to work painting, ripping out cables, and patching things up.  Once the ceiling tile supports were painted white, the landlord came in and replaced all the ceiling tiles.  The last step was painting the floor.  Now the space has light warm gray walls, white ceiling, doors, and trim, and a dark brown floor.  It's a nice-looking space.  Today, I finished hauling everything from my storage unit into the studio.  Wore myself out, but now the storage unit is empty and the studio looks like the aftermath of a rummage sale.  Tomorrow, I'll start putting the shelves together, getting everything arranged and organized, and turning the rummage sale into a proper artist's workspace.

Pulling all the artworks out of their 2-year hiding places was like seeing old friends again.  Most of them were wrapped up in one way or another, and too many suffered various sorts of damage, either from poor wrapping, elements, or banging around in shipment.  It's clear that I have some repair work to do.  But hey, they're back in a place they need to be.

Photos?  No, you're not going to see any photos until it's somewhat presentable.  You don't take pictures of a lady until she's properly made up, and a studio is the same way.  I'll post a few pictures once things are looking better.


2 comments:

  1. Great news Skip. Anxious to see the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy your new "home."

    ReplyDelete