Thursday, February 05, 2009

Thursday Thoughts

What a week it's been so far, and I still have several more days to go before its over ...

I've been setting up a conference for this weekend.  Actually, I took over the conference this past Monday, because nothing had been done for it.  It's been scheduled for a month, but there are two individuals in two different organizations who've been adamantly saying that the other guy is responsible for it.  And one of 'em then left the country on leave.  Consequently, at C minus 5 days, with no venue, no schedule, no invitations, no nuttin', I got fed up with their pissing contest and took over.  The conference kicks off tomorrow morning.  We've got a nice room here in the Embassy, with a computer and projector, comfy chairs, tables, and whiteboards.  Almost everybody is on the access list ... except a few that haven't bothered to tell me they're coming, and I know there will be some from one particular agency.  (So if they spend a few hours twiddling their thumbs at the gate because they didn't bother to notify me, hey, no skin off my nose).

I swear, I've had more emails come through my computer in the past 48 hours than I've had in the past five months.

So, anyway, the conference is going in the morning, ready or not.  I'm pretty happy with the job that my team has done getting it together.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

I just talked to Janis at home in Asheville.  They've been having lots of snow and bitter cold weather this winter, and last night it got down to 4 degrees.  Didn't have the heart to tell her it was in the upper 60's here.  But now I've let the cat out of the bag and I'm sure I'll hear about it!

I did a lot of whining earlier in this post about work.  But y'know, even with that, life here isn't bad.  I was walking by a group of young Air Force airmen outside the PX earlier today.  One of them, a young woman, noted in the most wistful voice you can possibly imagine, "Oh, they have indoor bathrooms here ..."

Puts it all into perspective, doesn't it?

1 comment:

  1. The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 02/06/2009 News and Personal dispatches from the front and the home front.

    ReplyDelete