Friday, April 10, 2009

Here We Go ...

Our training will finish up today.  Most of it has been a review for those of us who've been in Iraq or Afghanistan before.  I've got my bags packed, except for couple of loose ends (like my computer and shaving kit).  In a few minutes, I'll check out of here and head to class.  This afternoon, we'll head off to the airport, and this evening we'll get on the plane and launch downrange.

I'm ready to go now.  It's been a long road since I made the decision to go with the Corps - that was back in January, four months ago.  There have been lots of forms to fill out, online courses to take, medical tests, forms to fill out, vaccinations, phone calls, travel, and more forms to fill out.  Finally, all that is (almost) behind me and it's time to go do what I'm supposed to be doing.  That feels pretty good.

I'm not happy about leaving home again.  This departure is more difficult than my last one.  Maybe because I was home for the past month, I reconnected with Janis and the dogs and our friends, and I really don't want to leave them.  Having the ability to videochat with Janis, though, is a big, big help.  MUCH better than my deployments with the Navy, when we were lucky to get a letter every couple of weeks.

So now I'm off.  Next post will be from Kuwait or Baghdad.

No comments:

Post a Comment