Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Into the Groove At Home

It's been a week and a half since my arrival at home now. I've had a busy time doing nothing much, and there's a lot to be said for doing nothing much. I've chipped away at the honey-do list, and chipped away at my own to-do list, but if something couldn't get done that day (or even that week), well, so be it. There are other things to do. Sleep in late, for one. Take the dogs for walks ... lots of walks. Visit with friends. Play "throw the ball" with the dogs. Make a run to the post office and grocery store. Visit with more friends. That's about it.

There are some things that I'm avoiding as much as possible. The news, for one. I've watched one evening news show since coming home and have only lightly skimmed the news sites on the net. In a few weeks, I'll probably start following current events again, but for now, there are many things far more important than the news from Iraq. Things like the killer grilled-cheese sandwiches that J made today for lunch (New York sharp cheddar cheese with bacon bits on sourdough grilled in a panini-maker ... they were to die for).

If the TV has to be on, then there are better things to watch than the news. Saturday Night Live with Betty White as the host, for example. Or coverage of some off-the-wall car race. Escapist, yes. Fun, yes. Serious, no. Forget serious, I've had enough of that for a while.

One of my projects was to install a new receiver and speakers in my old truck. It still had the original single-CD player and crappy speakers that were installed ten years ago. I wanted something that sounded great and would let me hook up my iPod. So I ordered new equipment from Crutchfield a few weeks ago while still in Baghdad and it was waiting for me when I arrived. Last week I installed it and it sounds so much better. Very clear and sharp. I needed a bit of time to learn how to use it ... for example, it took me two days to figure out how to get the clock to display. Today, I finished the installation of an iPod interface in our Land Rover, so I'll have tunes no matter which car I'm in. Very cool!

Two days ago, I made the discovery that working out in the gym and jogging every two or three days does not prepare you in the slightest for mowing the lawn. At least not our lawn, which is a full acre and very steep. As is normal, I got into the rhythm with the mower and didn't want to stop until it was all over. By then, I'd wrenched my back somehow and I'm still walking like a robot on Motrin. Ugh!

I have not yet gone back to work in the studio. That'll come in a couple of weeks. Right now, I feel as if I have plenty of time, and I would much rather kick back for now and just enjoy the things I do have: a wonderful wife, the two sweetest dogs in the world, a great house, and all the little joys of day-to-day living.

It is so good to be home!


  1. This post made me smile :) Glad you're back and having so much fun with your downtime!

  2. Well, I suppose in order to get in shape for mowing the lawn, would have required a variation of Crossfit!
    Enjoy being home. And yeah, my husband doesn't watch the news ever!