Thursday, August 28, 2008

Training Wrap-Up

Tomorrow will be my last day of training here in the DC area.  We'll finish up around 5 pm and then I'll hit the road back to Asheville.  Yes, that's right: 5 pm traffic on the Friday of Labor Day weekend, heading out of Washington.  It will NOT be pretty.  

I've been very impressed with the training courses, instructors, and fellow students over the past two weeks.  The courses have been well designed and the instructors (particularly this week) have been top-notch.  For the past two days, we've been learning about emergency medical treatment.  Not a pleasant topic, but very necessary in a country like Iraq.  And as I've stated in a previous post, my fellow students are an impressive bunch.  They all have exceptional backgrounds: Army Special Forces, police detective, senior attache in other Middle Eastern countries, career Foreign Service, and many more that are highly qualified for the jobs they're going to.  Tomorrow our group will scatter and we'll see each other next in Baghdad.

This week I got to see some more old friends.  I visited John and Alexis, whom I've known for maybe 25 years, ever since John and I were junior officers in the same office at Fort Meade.  Last night I went out to see Konrad, Mary Beth, and their sons Kurt and Eric, who were my neighbors the next time I was stationed at Fort Meade in the early 90's.  Tonight I had dinner with Scott, an old Navy buddy from way back.  It was great to see all of them.  I've been blessed to have found good friends throughout my life, and one of the best things in the world is to spend time with them.  I'm pretty sure I'll add a few more over the next twelve months.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment